Therapeutic Evolution PT Services
We treat most diagnoses including chronic pain, migraines, temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ), low back pain, joint pain and symptoms associated with neurologic disorders such as multiple sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s disease. Manual therapy techniques are utilized to help improve function, range of motion, strength and postural alignment. Exercises may be given to promote stability and improve strength.
Pelvic health is a specialization provided by this practice. With over 6 years of experience treating a variety of pelvic symptoms that can arise at any age, it has proven rewarding to offer this service to help patients regain confidence again. Some of the conditions that pelvic rehabilitation can help with include; urinary incontinence, rectus diastasis, prostate and erectile dysfunction, urgency/frequency with urination or bowel movements, constipation, pelvic pain, and bed wetting (nocturnal enuresis).
Therapeutic Evolution PT prides itself in getting to know each patient. In order to do that, each patient is seen for one hour during the initial evaluation. Part of that time is spent putting the pieces of the history given to what the condition presents as today. A postural evaluation is performed along with various measurements to determine a baseline for each patient. Treatment is also provided during the initial assessment along with some initial stretches or self therapeutic treatment tools for the patient to begin at home.
A treatment session may consist of one or more of the following:
- Muscle Energy Technique (MET)-resistance is provided by the therapist after positioning the patient in such a way to promote realignment utilizing a specific muscle contraction.
- Myofascial Release (MFR)-focuses on the fascial layer throughout the body. The therapist engages this tissue in a triplane release technique effecting superficial and deep connective tissues.
- Strain Counterstrain-type of passive positional release
- Visceral Manipulation- promotes normalization of motility to a specific organ that has become restricted in movement.
- Craniosacral Therapy (CST) – helps improve quality of movement within the deep fascial layer of the cranium and dura throughout the spine.
- Electrical Stimulation – used for stress urinary incontinence or urge urinary incontinence when not responding to proper performance of kegels alone.
- Biofeedback – used to help re-educate pelvic floor muscles that are weak, discoordinated or hypertonic and are not responding to manual therapy alone.
An extensive history intake and postural assessment is performed during the initial examination. Most patients can expect an internal examination as well (except for my pediatric patients). Please feel free to bring a chaperone for support if that will make the experience most comfortable. It is important to assess the pelvis externally as well as internally to determine muscle tone, coordination of muscles and soft tissue tenderness. There are some exceptions when external work is all that is indicated. This is determined on a case by case basis.
What types of conditions can pelvic rehabilitation help with?
- Dyspareunia-painful intercourse
- Vulvodynia-chronic pain in or around the opening of the vagina
- Erectile dysfunction-difficulty obtaining or maintaining an erection
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)-an enlarged prostate
- Chronic pelvic pain-pain in the area below the belly button that can last more than 6 months
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS)-condition effecting the large intestine, may result in bloating, diarrhea, constipation, cramping and gas.
- Interstitial Cystitis (IC)-bladder pain
- Urinary Incontinence (Stress, urge or mixed) –uncontrolled loss of urine
- Fecal Incontinence (FI)-uncontrolled loss of fecal matter
- Urgency-sudden need to urinate or move bowels
- Frequency-urination that occurs more than 5-7 times per day
- Retention-inability to completely empty the bladder
- Constipation-fewer than 3 bowel movements per week
- Coccydynia-painful coccyx
- Pregnancy/postpartum-pain or discomfort during pregnancy or after child birth
- Nocturnal enuresis-bed wetting
Insurances: Therapeutic Evolution accepts most insurance plans. Please call to confirm if we take yours. We also offer reasonable direct pay rates for those who are out of network.
Direct Pay rates: Initial Evaluation $115 for 1 hour. Follow up sessions: $60 for ½ hour, $85 for 45 minutes, $115 for 1 hour.
Cancellations: In order to obtain optimal results, it is important to attend each therapy session in a timely manner. If circumstances arise such as; illness, emergencies, inclement weather, there will be no charge for missed appointments. Otherwise, a 24 hour notice will be expected to prevent a missed service charge. This is in effect so patients on the waiting list have an opportunity to get in as well. Appointment reminders are set up for your convenience. Thank you for your understanding regarding this policy.